Thieves are stealing from cars that have personal property in plain sight. Since Jan. 26, there have been three vehicle break-ins at Hilton Road Elementary School in Brighton Township, and three at the High Flyers Sports Arena in Genoa Township.
These break-ins are consistent with the rash of organized larcenies in Oakland and Wayne counties in which suspects are targeting vehicles in commercial settings with personal property in plain sight, breaking out the windows and stealing the property. The suspect vehicle, according to the Livingston County Sheriffs Department, is a dark mini-van, and the suspect is described to be wearing black clothing and a black face mask.
The Livingston County Sheriff’s Office offers the following advice:
• Always lock your vehicle whenever and wherever you park.
• Avoid leaving valuable items in vehicles such as wallets, purses electronics, medications or firearms.
• If you have to leave items in your vehicle consider securing them in the trunk or at least out of view.
• Report any incidents where someone has entered your vehicle without permission or any suspicious activity or behaviors by calling 911.
• If your wallet or purse is lost or stolen, cancel your credit cards immediately and consider placing a fraud alert on your name and social security number.