For the first time since before the Civil War, there is no newspaper office in Howell.
The Livingston Daily Press & Argus building in downtown Howell has been listed for sale for $600,000, and despite the fact that local real-estate companies have been advertising in the paper for decades, the owners decided to give the listing to an out-of-state real-estate company.
According to this listing on the Howell Main Street website, the building is on the market for $600,000. A company called BellCornerstone, headquartered in Syracuse, N.Y., is handling the listing.
The building at 323 E. Grand River Ave. has been home to the Livingston Daily Press & Argus and its forerunner, the Livingston County Press, since the 1970s. Before becoming a newspaper office, it housed a grocery store.
And now, it’s sitting empty.
What remains of the newspaper staff has moved to new offices at the Greater Brighton Area Chamber of Commerce in downtown Brighton.
The newspaper’s roots go all the way back to 1843, when the Livingston Courier was first published. The newspaper changed names through the years — and other papers came along to provide local competition — but all along, there has always been a newspaper office in Howell.
Until now. The Daily Press & Argus was purchased by the Gannett Corporation in 2005, and the paper’s rapid downhill slide began.