Disgraced former 53rd District Judge Theresa Brennan will no longer be able to practice law in Michigan effective March 18, 2021, after the Michigan Attorney Disciple Board disbarred her.
In the Order of Disbarment, issued Feb. 24, 2021, Brennan has also been ordered to pay costs to the Attorney Discipline System in the amount of $825.45. Her law license had been suspended in 2019.
The Brennan-in-disgrace story — Livingston County’s biggest political scandal ever, one that included sex, murder, lies and cover-ups, and even garnered national television attention — began in 2013, when Brennan presided over the double murder trial of Jerome Kowalski. Brennan had an affair with the lead witness in the case, Michigan State Police Lt. Sean Furlong.
The lengthy investigation into the case saw the Michigan State Police raid her home and courtroom in the search for evidence. Brennan was removed from office by the Judicial Tenure Commission in 2019. She pleaded guilty to a single county of perjury, and was sentenced to six months in jail in January 2020.
State Sen. Lana Theis, R-Brighton, who, in 2018 as a state representative, called for Brennan’s impeachment, said that she was pleased that the “long, sad saga of Theresa Brennan” ended in disbarment.
“It is a shame that so much time, effort and taxpayer money was wasted on her over the years leading up to this development,” Theis said in a statement. “But, in the end, justice prevailed. I am grateful for all who stood up to Brennan and for the rule of law throughout this process, and for those who are now working to restore honor and integrity in the Livingston County court system.”
You can read all our Theresa Brennan coverage by clicking here.