It’s the most controversial intersection in Livingston County – and according to state records, it’s also one of the most dangerous in the entire state.
The Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit has released a ranking of the 10 Most Dangerous Roundabouts in Michigan, based on the number of total crashes in 2019.
The double roundabout at Lee Road and U.S. 23 in Green Oak Township, south of Brighton, makes the list, coming in as the seventh-most-dangerous roundabout in the state. The intersection saw 63 total crashes and one injury in 2019.
Here’s the entire top 10:
- 18 1/2 Mile at Van Dyke, Sterling Heights, 229 Total Crashes, 14 Injuries
- Orchard Lake Road at 14 Mile Road, Farmington Hills/West Bloomfield, 178 Total Crashes, 22 Injuries
- M-5/Martin Parkway at Pontiac Trail, Commerce Township, 161 Total Crashes, 12 Injuries
- State Street at Ellsworth Road, Pittsfield Township/Ann Arbor, 154 Total Crashes, 8 Injuries
- I-94 at Sprinkle Road, Kalamazoo, 71 Total Crashes, 2 Injuries
- Farmington Road at 14 Mile Road, Farmington Hills, 66 Total Crashes, 13 Injuries
- Lee Road at Whitmore Lake Road/U.S. 23, Green Oak Township, 63 Total Crashes, 1 Injury
- Farmington Road at Maple Road, West Bloomfield Township, 55 Total Crashes, 5 Injuries
- Livernois Road at Hamlin Road, Rochester Hills, 55 Total Crashes, 4 Injuries
- Oakley Park Road at Martin Parkway, Commerce Township, 47 Total Crashes, 6 Injuries