Charyl Stockwell Preparatory Academy High School in Brighton held its eighth commencement ceremony on Sunday, June 2, 2019, at Rackham Auditorium on the campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Parents, families and community members gathered together to celebrate the 56 students of the Class of 2019, the largest graduating class in CSPA history, and their remarkable achievements.
The Class of 2019 has 13 Valedictorians and seven Salutatorians
• Anna Petouhoff was named by Channel 7 in Detroit as one of Southeast Michigan’s Brightest and Best students
• Maxwell Glover and Tyler Stone were honored by the MHSAA as outstanding Scholar Athletes
• Fourteen students have attended CSA since Kindergarten
• Twenty-six students earned Latin Honors (Suma Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude or Cum Laude) for achieving GPAs of 3.8 or higher during their entire high school career
• Twenty-two students are the first CSPA students to become International Baccalaureate Diploma Candidates
• All members of the graduating class took at least one IB class and completed an Extended Essay which included giving a fifteen minute public presentation of their research findings
• Five students took college classes at local community colleges and earned college credit while they were in high school
• Ten students are Presidential Scholars, recognized by the President of the United States for having earned a 3.8 GPA or higher and scoring 1150 or higher on the SAT
• Thirty-three seniors earned their academic letter for having kept a GPA of at least 3.8 throughout their senior year
• Graduates will pursue higher education at institutions such as the University of Michigan, Michigan State University, Kettering Institute, Hope College, Calvin College, Eastern Michigan University, Loyola University Chicago, Concordia University Chicago, Manchester University and Oakland University as well as a variety of trade schools.
• Four students will serve our country in the National Guard, the Army, and the Air Force and continue their education while serving this great land
• The cumulative GPA for the Class of 2019 was 3.7 and their SAT score average was 1048 which is the highest of all 63 Central Michigan University charter schools and one of the highest in Livingston County
• This class will earn over $1.5 Million in college scholarships over the next four years.
During the commencement ceremony, CSPA Principal Steven M. Beyer complimented the Class of 2019 on their amazing achievements and said that it had been an honor to be their principal. He told them that this is their time to “climb every mountain” and “ford every stream” until they find their dream, to know that success is measured by doing their best all the time, no excuses. He encouraged them to complete their circle and never ever forget that they already have what matters most in life, a good education, being surrounded by family and friends, and that they live in the greatest country on earth where they are free to live out their dreams.