Brighton residents getting textile recycling program in December

Share this:

Simple Recycling, a curbside, textile recycling company, will soon be offering their program to City of Brighton residents beginning the week of Dec. 4, 2017.

The City joins 25 other Michigan communities in collaborating with Simple Recycling to expand recycling opportunities for their residents. The textile recycling program is being offered in addition to other residential waste and recycling services.

Simple Recycling provides collection and recycling of clothing and small household items at no cost to the resident or city.

“The City of Brighton is always striving to improve service and provide more opportunities to our residents,” said Brighotn Mayor Jim Muzzin. “Simple Recycling is just another amenity that we’re proud to offer here in the city.”

Simple Recycling will collect materials on the same day as the resident’s general waste and recycling day. All Brighton residents currently receiving municipal trash and recycling services will have access to Simple Recycling’s curbside pickup and will be mailed their first set of orange bags, as well as instructions on program participation, at the end of November. Options are also available for residents who do not receive municipal waste and recycling services. Information about these options is available on the City of Brighton’s website.

Simple Recycling aims to increase recycling and waste diversion rates by allowing residents to recycle items in addition to the recycling stream collected by the city’s waste hauler, Waste Management. According to Simple Recycling, only 15 percent of clothing and household items are recycled or donated, while the remaining 85 percent end up in a landfill. Residents who donate to local charities and non-profits are encouraged to continue to do so and utilize the Simple Recycling program as a supplementary option.

Participation in the Simple Recycling program is an opportunity for the City of Brighton to join other Michigan communities in supporting state-wide recycling efforts. According to the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ), Michigan’s state-wide recycling rate is only 14.5 percent; the lowest in the Great Lakes region and one of the lowest in the United States. The MDEQ has already set a goal to double Michigan’s state-wide recycling rate and residents who participate in the curbside textile recycling program will be supporting efforts to meet the state-wide goal.

“We are proud to partner with the City of Brighton to bring this free, convenient service to their resident’s curbside”, says Adam Winfield, president and founder of Simple Recycling. The City of Brighton will also receive a monthly rebate from the company for every pound of material collected through the program.

For more information and a complete list of acceptable items, visit www.simplerecycling.com.

About The Livingston Post 490 Articles

The Livingston Post is the only locally owned, all-digital information and opinion site in Livingston County, Mich. It was launched by award-winning journalists who were laid off from the Livingston County Daily Press & Argus by Gannett Co. Inc. in 2009.

Be the first to comment

What do you think?