Genoa Township Trustee Todd Smith is a two-time convicted drunk driver who spent 45 days in jail for a DUI just a few years ago. Despite this, he not only continues to drink – he uses his Facebook page to celebrate how much he drinks.
It’s a stunning display of incredibly bad behavior for any two-time convicted drunk driver – let alone one who’s a public official. Not only has he not stopped drinking; he wants everyone to know just how much he’s still drinking.
If you go to Smith’s Facebook page, you’ll see dozens of postings and photos from this year alone of him celebrating and bragging about what he’s drinking and how much he’s drinking. He’s constantly checking in on Facebook at various bars around the state, saying he’s “Eating Cocktails.” And he’s posted dozens of photos of whatever cocktail, martini or glass of wine he happens to be drinking at the time.
This from a public official who spent more than a month in jail for drinking and driving. Absolutely stunning.
Smith has served on the Genoa Township Board since 2000, and he filed for re-election this year. He’s one of five trustee candidates in the Republican primary, seeking four open seats.
Smith has been one of the central figures on the Genoa board in denying Livingston Christian Schools a place in the township. He voted against Livingston Christian being able to locate at the Brighton Nazarene Church (despite the fact the Genoa Planning Commission recommended in favor of it).
Smith’s reason for opposing the Christian school? He said it would create a traffic hazard.
Seems he knows a thing or two about creating a traffic hazard.
According to a 2012 story in the Livingston Daily Press & Argus, Smith was convicted of drunken driving twice within an eight-month span in 2008 and 2009, while he served on the Genoa board:
- The first arrest occurred at about 2 a.m. Sept 14, 2008. Smith was operating a vehicle on Main Street in Brighton at 38 mph in a 25-mph speed zone when he was pulled over. The judge sentenced him to three days of community service for that offense.
- Smith’s second arrest was made by Ottawa County’s Grand Haven police on May 29, 2009. He pleaded guilty, and the judge sentenced him to 45 days in jail and one year of probation. If Genoa was observing its two-meetings-a-month schedule back then, Smith likely missed at least two township board meetings because he was behind bars.
Despite his convictions, Smith continues to drink and brag about his drinking on Facebook. A small sampling of recent Facebook posts:
- January 29, 2016: While in Florida, Smith posted a photo of a Bloody Mary along with the caption, “One Bloody Mary before heading back this afternoon to the cold.”
- February 22, 2016: Smith posted a photo that said, “I finally quit drinking for good. Now I drink for evil.”
- February 28, 2016: Smith checked in that he was “Drinking Cocktails” at the Downtown Main Martini Bar & Grill in Brighton. He wrote, “Seemed like a good idea.”
- March 11, 2016: Smith posted a photo of a martini he was apparently drinking, along with a one-word post: “Friday!”
- March 24, 2016: Smith checked in that he was “Eating Dinner and Cocktails” at the Downtown Main Martini Bar & Grill in Brighton. He wrote, “Yes the drink is very cold!!”
- As recently as May 28, 2016, Smith posted a photo of a glass of wine he was drinking.
There are dozens and dozens more drinking-related posts going back several years on his Facebook page. As of this writing, Smith’s page was set to Public status, so anyone can view it.
When the Daily Press & Argus did a story in 2012 on Smith’s two drunk-driving convictions, he refused to speak with a reporter, but did issue a statement via e-mail:
“Thank you for your inquiry as to my past bad decisions that I had made approximately four years ago. I am deeply saddened that I had made several bad choices in 2008 and 2009, and chose to operate a vehicle while under the influence. I have taken full responsibility of my actions and attended all requirements and recommendations that resulted from my poor decision-making.
“I continue to be keenly aware of the major issues of operating a motor vehicle after having several drinks and strongly feel that operating a motor vehicle after drinking of any kind should not be tolerated.
“While we are all human, I have learned from my error of judgments and take personal responsibility to practice safe driving and to encourage others to not make the same poor decisions even if they consider driving even after one drink!!”
So, Smith says that if you have even one drink, you shouldn’t operate a motor vehicle. Hmmm. One wonders how he makes it to and from the Downtown Main Martini Bar & Grill during his apparent many visits there.
To date, none of Smith’s fellow board members – including Trustee Linda Rowell, who’s running for supervisor this year – have publicly condemned Smith’s continued drinking and Facebook-related drinking celebrations.
A group of Genoa Township residents who were involved in the Livingston Christian Schools/Light of the World Academy controversy last summer say they’ll be attending an upcoming Genoa meeting en masse to confront Smith about his behavior and ask the other board members why they haven’t condemned it.
The story promises to intensify over the summer. The Republican primary is Aug. 2.
What do you think about Todd Smith’s Facebook posts? Leave a comment below.