Understand that you…
- Are nothing without your people, your team.
- Cannot be everybody’s friend.
- Are now one of ‘they’ (…as in ‘management’). Your teams will look to you for direction, give it to them, whether ‘they’ have given you any or not.
- Should have fun. Just because you’ve become a manager does not mean you should take yourself too seriously.
- Should not be afraid to ask questions, ask for help, even from your team. Admitting some vulnerability can lend to your credibility.
- Remember that you set the example.